Are BAV Auto HP Coils really worth it?

Anything that doesn't fit into the other categories.
brewsterE30M3

Are BAV Auto HP Coils really worth it?

Post by brewsterE30M3 »

Replacing the coils on my s52, it's starting to misfire on wet mornings with a cold engine (car has 197k)
Thinking about upgrading to BAV Auto High Performance coils instead of the stock Bremi coils.
Anyone using the BAV Auto coils? Are they worth the $$$? Any other alternatives?

TIA,
Bruce D.
'97 e36M3
Last edited by brewsterE30M3 on Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

victory1auto

Post by victory1auto »

Given your symptoms, I think I would just replace the coil boots. If there is any oil on the boots, replace the cam-cover gasket as well. I would doubt one of your motors would have worn spark plugs, but while you are in there, pull them and take a look.

On a stock motor, I know of no advantage in using "high-performance" ignition coils. I would like to be convinced otherwise.

Vic

brewsterE30M3

coils

Post by brewsterE30M3 »

Hi Vic,

Thanks for your suggestions.
I also experienced this problem (CEL= misfire #3) this past spring. At that time I replaced all the plugs. #3 coil and also the #3 coil boot. I also replaced the valve cover gasket
So I'm alittle puzzled that I'm still getting a misfire on #3, read with my Peake reader (not Rich K's laptop program).
Probably will wind up replacing the other 5 coils with OE Bremi/STI units

Bruce D.