Street Survival for Adults?

Use this forum to discuss our new driver school program only for teens.
nj325ci

Street Survival for Adults?

Post by nj325ci »

Is there a class for adults. My wife is great at looking forward to anticipate issues and working the brakes efficiently when she is in the passenger seat but the skills don't seem to transfer to the driver seat for her.

Is there a street survival type experience for adults that teaches the dynamics, etc but is short of a HPDE?

Thanks, Bill

MrMCoupe

Post by MrMCoupe »

Bill,

Yes! Our autocross program includes most of the skills taught in street survival. If it rains; we have a skid pad too.

Mark

mbaratz

Post by mbaratz »

If she's up for a trip. National also spponsors a great trip to the Vehicle Performance Center for ladies that includes a day of car control and a spa day or two. They drive the latest models including Ms on the skid pad and track then use the Center's cars to drive to Asheville. Not sure when/if Jackie Becheck is leading another trip, but she has a dedicated following. If she's not running a trip, the VPC runs really great classes with their vehicles continously.

RealM3E30

Adult Street Survival

Post by RealM3E30 »

This subject has come up more than a few times in the past. Yes, it would be a great program to do, but getting a location to do it, money to pay for that, plus the volunteers make it a big project. I am not sure if I would want my neighbors wife signing up for a autocross to learn car control for the first time, not a good thing. 8)
91 E30 M//3 GQ
88 E30 M//3 TR
07 E91 328XIT
12 E70 X5D
16 F31 MSport Wagon
71 2002 Vintage Race Car

MrMCoupe

Post by MrMCoupe »

Autocross is fine for mature drivers. I wouldn't recommend for a permitted driver. Obviously autocross doesn't take the place of a skid pad or a professional program but it does provide an opportunity to learn, and practice, skills which may save your life one day.

Every driver should come to an autocross.

Mark

jnscaldwell

Post by jnscaldwell »

This is something I am very interested in seeing happen. I am glad this was brought up again publicly. We will discuss an adult car control clinic amongst the chapter board and see what we can come up with. Great idea and we will do our best to make it a reality.

Jeff C.
President - NJBMWCCA
17 F15 X5 40e
17 F25 X3 28i MSport
11 E92 M3 ZCP
04 E46 325cic
93 E36 325is - JS #172
12 Ford F350 King Ranch dually

dbcafy

Post by dbcafy »

MY wife don't know it yet, but I'll sign her up for this type of class :-)

Dave
2011 M3 sedan, ZCP, DCT, Dinan Exhaust, aFe Intake
2003 540i, M-Sports Pkg (retired)

Al323i

Post by Al323i »

I would like to get on the 'interested' list. My wife is willing to give it a shot and suggested that our daughter (21) also attend as perhaps this would give the deer a fighting chance. :?

kevnj

Post by kevnj »

Mary has also shown interest in this too.
1988 E30 M3
1991 E30 318is
2003 E46 330i ZHP
2009 Jetta TDi 6 Speed Manual
2008 Simplicity Lawn Tractor (18 HP V-Twin)

LilVic20

Post by LilVic20 »

Hey, all. I saw this post the other day and I'm glad to see it has some interest...

During the 90s, NJ BMWCCA used to run the "car control clinic" each summer. It was open to all drivers with a valid license and if they brought their own car (regardless of make or model), and they did not have to be a CCA member. On Sunday, I just was telling my student about bringing my friends from school and all of us had a blast as students (around 1993-95).

The format was almost exactly like the TR Street Survival, and I remember at least once when we were able to score a fire truck for a skidpad. But I definitely agree with Bob's point about funding with no sponsor(s), and finding volunteers (considering that we now run two TR SS schools).

For years now I've been telling people about our club and many times they have asked me if there was an "adult" version of the street survival, because they did not want to go to a race track for HPDE.

If the board considered a vote on this possibility, I'd totally be up for instructing.

Point to consider... could entrance fee be set to mitigate cost of lunch and renting an adequate parking lot? Even at $30 pp and assuming 40 enrolled people, I'm not sure how far $1,200 could go and the differential that the club would have to cover.

currencydog

Post by currencydog »

I would be ınterested ın thıs kınd of course. One for my wıfe and I could use a good brushıng up. Even at 50 dollars lıke the autox fee, ıt would be well worth the cost. I know ınsurance companıes gıve dıscounts for a Defensıve drıvıng course, perhaps thıs could be a sellıng poınt and a source for sponsors

LilVic20

Post by LilVic20 »

currencydog wrote:I know ınsurance companıes gıve dıscounts for a Defensıve drıvıng course, perhaps thıs could be a sellıng poınt and a source for sponsors
It is my understanding that in NJ, only approved defensive driving courses will be eligible for a discount on your car insurance. For a new driver, there is the "behind-the-wheel" training. But as far as I know, for experienced drivers there is only the classroom instruction (which can reduce 2 points from your NJMVC license and may also give you an insurance discount).

mcahn

Post by mcahn »

I think this is a great idea. I don't know if I would be able to persuade my wife or daughter to do it, but I would certainly try.

Matthew

nj325ci

Post by nj325ci »

I had no idea there would be this much interest when I wrote the original post. I don't have the skills to be an instructor but I'd definitely be willing to help out.

Thanks, Bill

Mmadness

Post by Mmadness »

Yes, the closest I've found is DriveSafer (https://www.drivesafer.com/). It is very similair to the TRSS program but costs a heck of a lot more.