1996 BMW Z3 1.9L Chip

brweiss12

1996 BMW Z3 1.9L Chip

Post by brweiss12 »

Looking for some small modifications to increase hp. Looking for a chip, does anyone know of one that would be good?

victory1auto

Post by victory1auto »

Your 96 Z3 should be what is called an OBDII [On-Board Monitoring - Version II] vehicle. Such vehicles do not have a replaceable IC "chip" in the engine-management computer. Rather, they require a software download in order to change such things as spark mapping, fuel mapping, RPM limiter, etc.

Tuners such as Turner Motorsports provide such aftermarket software. Contact them to confirm it is available for your Z.

Keep in mind that, generally speaking, the newer the vehicle, the less there is to be gained by aftermarket software. In some cases, the main results of the software can be increases in the engine RPM and vehicle-speed limiter settings. On older vehicles, especially the early Motronic cars, an aftermarket chip can make a substantial seat-of-the-pants improvement in power.

Vic

colin

Post by colin »

pnosker

M44 software

Post by pnosker »

I have a 1997 318ti with the same motor, but mine is supercharged. My car was tuned by Nick G at Technique Tuning (www.techniquetuning.com). He makes great stuff and is a very capable coder. His NA software is top notch as well.

I would get his software.