NJ Mechanics Who Know Anything About the 8-Series? (E31)

E36Ron

NJ Mechanics Who Know Anything About the 8-Series? (E31)

Post by E36Ron »

Does anyone here know of any NJ mechanics with experience or a reputation as knowledgeable about the E31 8 Series cars -- the V12 850s in particular, with M70 or M73 engines?

MrMCoupe

Re: NJ Mechanics Who Know Anything About the 8-Series? (E31

Post by MrMCoupe »

Try Eurosport In Westfield. Jeff used to work on my 750 V12 when we had it. What issues are you having? BTW, I have a bunch of spare filters for the 750 I think will fit a non-csi 850.

Mark

TimCircleBMW

Post by TimCircleBMW »

The shop foreman at JMK was really really good with those cars. We used to service a bunch of them when I was there and he was ace at trouble shooting. - Tim
Tim M

1995 BMW M5 Euro Daytona Violet
1985 Subaru BRAT GL
1992 Mercedes 300D
1998 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel
2021 Toyota Tundra 1794 TRD Offroad

RAYADAM

Post by RAYADAM »

Agree with Tim, also knowledge of the E31 is divided in two. the drivetrain and the other is understanding the vehicle and electrical system.
Like the above said,what issues do you have?
Ray
2011 X5d
2018 Shelby GT350

E36Ron

Post by E36Ron »

Thank you all, I will pursue your various suggestions.

TimCircleBMW, do you happen to remember the name of the shop foreman at Circle BMW?

Regarding issues, all I know is that to own one of these cars it is essential to have knowledgeable mechanics on tap. Clearly I would need one or more for each of the drive train and the vehicle electrical system.

Any other suggestions would still be welcome.

-- E36Ron

MrMCoupe

Post by MrMCoupe »

Ron,

All I can say is we sold the 750 with over 200k on it and I saw it often for many years after. My suggestion is to keep a fresh battery in the car and drive it like a BMW. Starters will go. There is a place in or near Rahway which can rebuild it. I forgot the shop name but it may be in my receipt file. If you find a good set of throttle bodies; buy them and keep as spares.

Mark

Nbender

Post by Nbender »

Hi Ron

You should really contact Mike from Northeast motors sport in north Jersey

E36Ron

Post by E36Ron »

Nbender wrote:Hi Ron

Hi Nbender:

Thanks, and your response is timely. I was at Mike's just yesterday, following a similar referral from Bimmerforums.com, which now seems to be the worldwide go-to place for 8-Series discussions.

Up until two years ago, Mike had been the shop lead at Motorworks West in Wyckoff. His new space at 6 Leighton Place in Mahwah is large, airy and well organized, and is dedicated exclusively to BMW vehicles.

He says he has worked on preparing race vehicles for a number of NJ BMW CCA club members. There's a selection of almost every BMW model parked outside his premises!

He personally is a really nice guy, who is superbly well-informed on all things BMW, and knows all of the players in the support infrastructure for BMW owners.

He has also worked extensively on all aspects of the BMW 8 Series, from electronics (Dinan shop) to driveline, to body. He likes to do most of the work himself, and works by appointment -- 201-485-7800.

I heartily recommend Mike to any owner who cares enough about their BMW to have it worked on only by people who know what they are doing and have done it before.

-- E36Ron

Nbender

Post by Nbender »

That is exactly the reason I refereed you to him ( I sent you the info throw Bimmerforums) .
I am a happy customer of his and would love other fellow 8 owners to enjoy his work - a very hard thing to find these days.

Nbender

Post by Nbender »

Nbender wrote:Hi Ron

Yes.
I also recommend Mike , he takes care of my 850.
Hes a great guy.

E36Ron

Re: NJ Mechanics Who Know Anything About the 8-Series? (E31)

Post by E36Ron »

Just a quick update:

I continue to heartily recommend Mike at NorthEast Motorsports for any required work on E31 8-Series (or for any other BMW work).

Over the past several years since the last post above, I have steadily had Mike work on maintaining and updating my two 850s. He worked on these cars when they were first introduced in the early 90s, and remembers tiny details that come in really handy from time to time.

Overall great guy, straight as an arrow, and will save you money where he can by giving you a full diagnosis, but telling you what's important, and what can wait.

Can't recommend him enough.

-- E36Ron