10 key limit!?!

colin

10 key limit!?!

Post by colin »

Last year, my father bought a mint 1999 740iL with 60,000 miles on it. I guess he couldn't stand it that I had a 740 and he just had some stupid Honda. Anyway. He got exactly one key with it.

Fast forward to this summer. He wanted to buy another key. Actually he wanted to buy two more, until Paul Miller quoted him $229 for one. Then they told him they couldn't make him any more keys at all, because whatever jerk had the car before him made lots of keys and there was a maximum limit of 10 keys that could be made for any BMW.

So he called BMWNA, and they said "sorry - ten keys, no exceptions!" It's apparently a technical limitation. There's something in the car called an EWS that keeps a memory of all keys, and it only has memory for ten keys - so if my father wanted a new key, he'd have to get a whole new EWS. He was quoted $1500 for this, parts and labor - but still $229 for a new key on top of that.

I'm looking for input and/or commiseration. My father better not lose that key. :/ Meanwhile there's some creep walking around with nine keys to his car.

RAYADAM

Post by RAYADAM »

Paul Miller BMW is correct about the 10 key limit..I would have to check,if you get the full EWS key/lock set,i believe it included several keys..

if you are concerned about the other 9 keys floating around,and want to stay wit the remaining 1 key..you can have all those keys "blocked" by means of EWS protection(engine will not start). it's done with the dealer diag equipment.. I think some generic systems out there can do the job as well..unfortunately, the 9 keys can still open the car ,but can not drive away.
Ray
2011 X5d
2018 Shelby GT350

320iJT

Post by 320iJT »

Any chance of contacting the PO and seeing if those keys are available?
~ JT Burkard ~
Brick, NJ
1977 320i