Navigation versions

kjwhitehead

Navigation versions

Post by kjwhitehead »

My 740iL came with the MKIII version 17 navigation version. Is it possible to upgrade to the latest MKIV version 28? Is there a listing somewhere that indicates the improvements or changes that were made with each version and how the MKIV may be different than the MKIII?
Regards,
Kevin

2001 740iL Sport

ThumpersGP

Re: Navigation versions

Post by ThumpersGP »

kjwhitehead wrote:My 740iL came with the MKIII version 17 navigation version. Is it possible to upgrade to the latest MKIV version 28? Is there a listing somewhere that indicates the improvements or changes that were made with each version and how the MKIV may be different than the MKIII?
MKIII is a CD-ROM based system,and V17 is just the latest operating software for that version. However,there is good news,your dealer can upgrade the software to V29 by the use of a "key CD".this will give you the screen appearance of the MKIV (split screen capabilities). the "key CD" only needs to be done once,all other software upgrades can be used from now on.

Just remember,the MKIII can still only use CD-rom map disks.the MKIV is DVD based and only require one disk for USA/Canada.

Your dealer can tell you the small list of improvements between software upgrades,usually there are not many changes for the CD-rom based system.

Ray

kjwhitehead

Navigation upgrades

Post by kjwhitehead »

I'll need to visit the dealer to see what the split screen nav system looks like to determine whether I want to move to it. Per the 9/06 BMW Service release they indicated the latest Nav software versions below...

"With the introduction of Navigation system operating software V28, there are currently 2 valid versions of Navigation software. Navigation system operating software V17.1 is used on MK III systems without "Split Screen". 1.

Navigation system operating software V28 is used on MK I, MK II, all other MK III navigation systems, MK IV DVD navigation systems on I-Bus vehicles, NAVI01, NAVI02 and NAVI03."
Regards,
Kevin

2001 740iL Sport

dngo

Post by dngo »

I upgraded to MKIV nav in my '01 M5. It is MUCH faster than the MKIII in calculating/recalculating routes. The map view is also much nicer in that it keeps the car centered in the screen and moves the map around it. In addition, having all of the US and Canada on one DVD is a very useful feature.

Dave