E36 M3 water pump to fan clutch adapter?

stymie

E36 M3 water pump to fan clutch adapter?

Post by stymie »

I've replaced my water pump on my E36 M3 3.2 ltr engine. But the fan clutch doesn't clear the supercharger pully. So I am looking for an adapter that will extend it out from the water pump by about 5/8 to 3/4 inches. Do you know where I can find one?

Below is a picture of the one I removed. It looks like the top part is an adapter/spacer but I am not able to remove it. Yes, I know these are reverse threaded.
WaterPump2.png
WaterPump2.png (85.62 KiB) Viewed 6630 times

stymie

Re: E36 M3 water pump to fan clutch adapter?

Post by stymie »

As a last resort I am thinking to buy some spacers and space the fan forward from the fan clutch. But I worry this might throw off the balance since the clutch and fan being held together adds some rigidity to the fan. Without that it may vibrate or wobble which eventually either the fan would break or cause the water pump to give out.

BJerolimic
Location: Glen Ridge, NJ . . . . . . '98 318ti - '01 M5 - '08 X5

Post by BJerolimic »

stymie wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:55 pm
As a last resort I am thinking to buy some spacers and space the fan forward from the fan clutch. But I worry this might throw off the balance since the clutch and fan being held together adds some rigidity to the fan. Without that it may vibrate or wobble which eventually either the fan would break or cause the water pump to give out.
as an alternative you could also switch to an electric fan

and gone but not forgotten:
'00 323Ci Steel Grey / Black Dinan & UUC & Schnitzer mods
'89 325iX Diamond Black / Black 4dr 5spd Dinan chip, Ireland exhaust, H&R+Koni
'01 525iTa

stymie

Post by stymie »

I'm trying to avoid the electric fan option. I don't want to spend any money on my car unless I have to. Plus have other projects I need to do instead. Hence, trying to find another adapter/extension. Plus have had electrical issues and sometimes don't drive the car enough so I don't want to add any more load to the electrical system to help the battery charge.

stymie

Post by stymie »

I went to my closet mechanic and they were able to get the adapter off easily by holding it with a vice. Gave them $20 to buy beer and that was that. Don't know why more parts companies don't make these. For like $20 you can avoid having to put on an electric fan since the fan clutch fan won't clear the supercharger pully by itself.