Black epoxy recommendation for e36 m3 front spoiler?

stymie

Black epoxy recommendation for e36 m3 front spoiler?

Post by stymie »

I need a recommendation for a black epoxy to hold together my '95 m3 front spoiler after hitting something on the highway.

Don't want to keep putting money into the car so am ordering a metal skid plate to replace all the plastic OEM crap under the spoiler and engine. And need to epoxy the front spoiler where it was split.

mcahn

Re: Black epoxy recommendation for e36 m3 front spoiler?

Post by mcahn »

I don't know if this is appropriate for your spoiler, but I've used Ultra Black Gasket Maker to glue things together, and it may be the stickiest stuff known to man. My mechanic used it to glue a dead pedal into a Lotus cup car.

-- Matthew

afadeev

Post by afadeev »

stymie wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:10 pm
I need a recommendation for a black epoxy to hold together my '95 m3 front spoiler after hitting something on the highway.
Any epoxy would do, since your use case doesn't represent any particular challenges.
The key to making it stick will be surface preparation (wash the parts, prep gluing surfaces with 120-220 grit sandpaper). That, and following the mixing instructions precisely (measure by weight, not by eye).
Durability will be proportional to the glued surface areas. I would consider enlarging those by gluing a backing plate (of similar material) behind the fracture area.

Stick with longer curing epoxies, which usually have lower exothermic reaction temps (less likely to distort or melt your plastic parts).

Most commonly available in volume - BSI 30 minute epoxy: https://www.rocketryworks.com/slow-cure ... ku=BSI-205
Stronger, pre-colored black, but more expensive - Proline 4500: https://wildmanrocketry.com/products/45 ... bf51&_ss=r
stymie wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:10 pm
Don't want to keep putting money into the car so am ordering a metal skid plate to replace all the plastic OEM crap under the spoiler and engine. And need to epoxy the front spoiler where it was split.
Good call.
I remember having that car decades ago, and ended up ditching the plastic "pork chops" for an aluminum under-tray for exactly that reason.

If epoxying the spoiler back into one piece does not last, consider epoxying it to the front bumper. That will be more work, but will produce a longer lasting solution.

alex

P.S.: I have plenty of both epoxies on hand (for my other hobby), and you are welcome to borrow some, if under time and/or budget constraints.

stymie

Post by stymie »

Thanx for the info. It will come in handy. I did buy an aluminum splash guard instead of the like 4 plastic pieces that go under their. Figure that will hold things in place well enough and the epoxy will finish the job where the spoiler was split.
Thanx for the offer for the epoxy. My car isn't even running at the moment so not even sure when I'll be getting to it. Have a couple other projects I need to do first.