Vague steering

bheer

Vague steering

Post by bheer »

I have a 2005 330ci with sport package - not ZHP - that I flew out to Colorado and brought home a year or so ago. Low miles, one owner, clean carfax, western car... everything you'd want.

I noticed right away that the steering was funky, meaning that whenever I hit any sort of uneven spot in the road, the car would wander all over the place. In a turn, if I hit a big seam, the car can change direction by, I estimate, 15 degrees. At speed it's scary.

I assumed at the time that the alignment must be way out of whack, so didn't think much of it initially.

But, in the meantime, I've had pretty much everything replaced upfront by reputable BMW shops. New tires. Had it four-wheel aligned... three times. Everything done seems to have helped a little, but the problem persists. The last thing I had done was to have the steering column giubo replaced... which was my idea, not the mechanic's... based on scouring the chatboards of the world.

Anyway, I'm tired of telling the mechanics what I think they should do... Heck, I'm a marketing guru, not a mechanic. The nasty side of my brain is whispering that they like this undiagnosed problem and, so far, it's paid for a boat and a new motorcycle... so why ruin a good thing by fixing it?

Can anyone recommend a REALLY GOOD suspension shop?

Thanks.

RealM3E30

Re: Vague steering

Post by RealM3E30 »

Where are you located ?
91 E30 M//3 GQ
88 E30 M//3 TR
07 E91 328XIT
12 E70 X5D
16 F31 MSport Wagon
71 2002 Vintage Race Car

mmarv

Post by mmarv »

First check front tire pressure. If ok, try increasing 2psi in the front. If that doesn't help the next things to look at replacing are: Front control arm bushing, front control arms?
-------------------------
2017 BMW M2

bheer

Post by bheer »

I'm in Berkeley Heights.

Thanks mmarv. Control arms and bushings have been replaced. I'll try increasing the psi.

I'm really looking for a reputable suspension shop if anyone knows of one.

mcahn

Post by mcahn »

Not a suspension shop exactly, but I'd suggest Mr. M Car -- mrmcar.com. That's where I go for everything significant. It looks like it's about equally inconvenient for you as it is for me.

Best,
Matthew

MrMCoupe

Post by MrMCoupe »

I had these symptoms when a shop put the ball joints upside down. This creates a change in steering geometry when you hit a bump. Hopefully it is as simple as this. If not I'd look for cracks in any area tied to the suspension mounting.

Mark

kbsilver

Post by kbsilver »

MrMCoupe wrote:I had these symptoms when a shop put the ball joints upside down.Mark
Is that even possible? Don't forget the suspension in the rear half of the car is just an important. Also some E46's had issues with the rear subframe tearing the metal right out of the floor pan. (May no longer been an issue by MY 2005.)
-Keith

'11 335D & '17 340GT

MrMCoupe

Post by MrMCoupe »

It was possible on a 7 series! I don't know if it is on an 3.

bheer

Post by bheer »

Thanks all for the replies. Wow, ball joints upside down... I must say I would never have thought of that. I'll have a look this evening...