oil change?

ebyflk

oil change?

Post by ebyflk »

Sorry if this question is too basic for this forum. I need to get my oil changed and don't want to take it to the dealer to get ripped off but at the same time don't trust the usual pep boys etc. I don't want to change it myself either so wondering if anyone can suggest any good places in the west new york and edgewater areas that I could take my car to and that could also serves as my go to place for any servicing needs? Thanks in advance for your help.

kbsilver

Post by kbsilver »

Al lot depends on what car you have, does it use synthetic? Most dealers run specials to service older BMWs such as an E46. Oil change is usually $80 which is only about $15 more than the proper oil and filter would cost to do it yourself.

A good independent will not necessarily be that much less than a dealer. But for recommendations just look at the sponsors link and see if any of them are in your area.
-Keith

'11 335D & '17 340GT

brewsterE30M3

oil chg

Post by brewsterE30M3 »

If you live in Hunterdon or Somerset County, I would recommend Rick Kiceniuk in Clinton (908-782-4335) or Oldwick Garage (Dave) in Oldwick, both just off Rt 78. Both are privately owned BMW garages.

Use synthetic oil, either Mobil 1, Castrol, BMW (=Castrol), AMS oil, or LubriMoly. All are very good products.

Good Luck.
Bruce D.

victory1auto

Post by victory1auto »

For the area you mention, consider Rennsport Motor Works in Hackensack. Sal Puleio has been taking care of NJ Chapter Bimmers for 30 years. 201 489 5577

TimCircleBMW

The Dealer...

Post by TimCircleBMW »

Be careful when you say dealer's rip you off.. You never know when you will need them for help (or CCA sponsorship) :D Here at Circle, we are charging $79.95 for a synthetic oil and filter change for all 6 cylinders (excluding M cars and Diesel). If you calculate the math for the going rate of 7 quarts of oil, factory filter kit, disposal, not getting dirty and most importantly, having someone that really knows the car working on it, $79.95 is quite the giveaway...
Tim M

1995 BMW M5 Euro Daytona Violet
1985 Subaru BRAT GL
1992 Mercedes 300D
1998 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel
2021 Toyota Tundra 1794 TRD Offroad

victory1auto

Post by victory1auto »

To reinforce what Tim suggests, at a dealership you are virtually assured of getting the correct oil for your Bimmer and an OEM-quality oil filter.

The May 2012 New Jersey Bulletin has an article on oil changing that might interest you. You can access this and other Bulletin issues from our home page.

BJerolimic
Location: Glen Ridge, NJ . . . . . . '98 318ti - '01 M5 - '08 X5

Re: The Dealer...

Post by BJerolimic »

TimCircleBMW wrote:Be careful when you say dealer's rip you off.. You never know when you will need them for help (or CCA sponsorship) :D Here at Circle, we are charging $79.95 for a synthetic oil and filter change for all 6 cylinders (excluding M cars and Diesel). If you calculate the math for the going rate of 7 quarts of oil, factory filter kit, disposal, not getting dirty and most importantly, having someone that really knows the car working on it, $79.95 is quite the giveaway...
great price! how much is it for ///Ms? and how long is the wait for the job to be done?

and gone but not forgotten:
'00 323Ci Steel Grey / Black Dinan & UUC & Schnitzer mods
'89 325iX Diamond Black / Black 4dr 5spd Dinan chip, Ireland exhaust, H&R+Koni
'01 525iTa

TeemoPanda

Post by TeemoPanda »

victory1auto wrote:For the area you mention, consider Rennsport Motor Works in Hackensack. Sal Puleio has been taking care of NJ Chapter Bimmers for 30 years. 201 489 5577
A very big ^+1