Clutch Delay Valve

Bishop4142

Clutch Delay Valve

Post by Bishop4142 »

I tried searching various forums but can not find if the E92 M3 (2011) has the CDV. I would appreciate if anyone can answer this - shifting from 1st to 2nd is horrible...

victory1auto

Post by victory1auto »

Yes, it is supposed to have one. What exactly is your symptom?

The CDV is supposed to affect clutch engagement only [letting the pedal up], not clutch release.

Also, what is the production date of your car? It should be on the VIN sticker on the driver-door frame.

kishg

Post by kishg »

used to be that M cars didn't get CDVs but I suppose now that M is more mainstream they are adding them.. While getting rid of it helps some, it still takes practice to do a 1-2 seamlessly in a car with a lot of torque.

Bishop4142

Post by Bishop4142 »

kishg wrote:used to be that M cars didn't get CDVs but I suppose now that M is more mainstream they are adding them.. While getting rid of it helps some, it still takes practice to do a 1-2 seamlessly in a car with a lot of torque.
I understand this isn't a commuter car.. but ; 1st to 2nd driving normal is very notch(ie) with all the other shifts nice a fluid; when "getting" on it won't go into 2nd thus blowing the shift and sometimes it takes a lot force to get it into 2nd.

I'm not a complete novice using a manual and understand practice helps, but this is terrible

GreasyGinzo

Post by GreasyGinzo »

e9x M3's DO NOT have a CDV...I believe they have what looks like one but it is hollow inside.

kishg

Post by kishg »

are you lifting off the gas slightly before doing upshift? what revs are you shifting at?

victory1auto

Post by victory1auto »

OP: Suggest you bring your car to a meeting and let some of us drive it [gently] to assess the shifting. The CDV should NOT affect the feel of the transmission shifter or how long it takes to switch gears. The CDV only affects the engagement of the clutch when you take your foot off the pedal.

kishg

Post by kishg »

yeah, i'd be willing to test drive it on the track at one of our DEs :) instruction included :)

dngo

Post by dngo »

Saw your post on M3forums as well. Frankly, I don't even think about my 1-2 shift. I've driven many different fast cars of various makes and the shifter in my '08 is certainly one of the better ones.

Vic's suggestion is a good one - swap cars with someone at one of our meetings and see what it feels like. Also, ride with someone and/or have someone ride with you to see if there are any differences in technique.

Under what circumstances do you have trouble with 1-2? Normal driving, hard launches, etc.?

Dave
'15 MCR P90D <- the stealthy daily
'98 TiAg M3/4 <- the Bus

MTROIS

Post by MTROIS »

I would agree that if you try to launch the car hard, the 1-2 shift is a little tricky or at least that it feels notchy. Besides sparing my transmission, this actually one of the reasons why I usually avoid this... and wait for the 2-3 shift to hammer it.
2019 M2 Competition (Euro Delivery!)
2008 M3 Coupé
1995 M3 LTW
...all Manual Transmissions!!

Bishop4142

Post by Bishop4142 »

There is a club member Dave Ngo who is quite good at auto cross. I may stop down at an up coming event and ask him to drive it and get his opinion. I scheduled my 1200 service and will ask them to take a look at the trans to make sure its not out of spec.

dngo

Post by dngo »

Bishop4142 wrote:There is a club member Dave Ngo who is quite good at auto cross. I may stop down at an up coming event and ask him to drive it and get his opinion. I scheduled my 1200 service and will ask them to take a look at the trans to make sure its not out of spec.
That happens to be me. :) Thanks for the kind words. I'm happy to try out the tranny in your car and you are welcome to try mine as well. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to make the next autox, though. There's a Cars & Coffee meet on Aug. 13th (not affiliated with BMWCCA) in Shrewsbury that I should be attending where I will definitely have my E90. Where are you located?

Dave
'15 MCR P90D <- the stealthy daily
'98 TiAg M3/4 <- the Bus