Head rebuild questions

Vincent

Head rebuild questions

Post by Vincent »

Hi guys,

I am having the head rebuilt on my high mileage m20. Machine shop said the head and valves are good however he recommends new cam, rockers, springs, guides, ... as part of re-build. Other than driving to and from the track the car is primarily a track car. I have a spare head from another high mileage car that I will strip the cam from and see if it checks out ok. If not ok I am looking for some guidance as to what cam/rockers/springs to use in the rebuild. Stay stock? or hop it up a little? Yes, $ matters.

I am primarily looking for a reliable track car if there is such a thing. I read on the e30tech forum that some guys have had reliability issues with certain aftermarket parts, gaskets, etc.

Input/guidance welcome. Thanks

Vin

kishg

Post by kishg »

stay stock if you want to keep cost down and reliability high. an aftermarket cam would give you a nice performance boost though. how much are they charging to rebuild?

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Quoted me 645$ + parts that I supply or he gets. I pulled a cam from a spare head tonight and will bring it to him tomorrow. I hope this one is good. If it is I will just buy rockers and springs, seats... and keep it stock. Easy no decision to make!

Struggling with what to do if second cam is also no good.

rpob5t

Post by rpob5t »

Vince,

I agree with Kish, for an M20 I wouldn't do more than a stock rebuild, unless you're building a KP motor spending money on speed parts for an M20 is a semi-fruitless effort and just tends to break more parts (I tracked my car for 2 seasons bones stock and didn't break anything until I started throwing parts at it), which on a track car where your primary goal is learning and having fun will impede on both of these. Plus riding home on a flatbed a day early really sucks (speaking from experience :wink: ).
Greg
04 mini cooper S -daily driver / 87 325is weekend track toy

m20power

Post by m20power »

Vincent,

I agree with Kish and Greg. The only parts I would upgrade from stock are the rockers, probably the weakest link in the OEM valvetrain. Ireland Engineering makes a nice strengthened rocker arm. I have a set for sale, almost new, that I bought from Greg after he decided to go with an S50. Now, I'm going M42t and offer these for sale. let me know if interested. Cheers, Bob
'11 335i Convertible - Street
'02 325Ci - Street
'97 M3 Coupe - Street
'17 340i - Wife's ride
No automatics!

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Thanks guys. I will take your advise. Bob - I sent you a pm.

victory1auto

Post by victory1auto »

If I understand you correctly you are installing new valve guides yet keeping the old valves?

Vic

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Vic
Yes that is what the shop advised. Keep the old valves and replace guides.
Vin

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Vic, do you see a problem with that? Thanks Vin

victory1auto

Post by victory1auto »

If the valve stems have any wear at all, I personally would not keep the old valves, as the stem-guide clearance may have to be compromised to accomodate the unworn portions of the old valve stems. Of course, opinions on this vary, and each engine tech/machinist knows what works best for him/her.

Vic

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Thanks Vic. I will ask the machinist. Ends up I need to buy a cam. Any recommendations on manufacturer and where to purchase a stock cam? I have been looking on line and so far have found Febi for $239 and Camko for $396. I am also looking for guidance on head gasket manufacturer. I have read that some products are superior to others??
Vin

victory1auto

Post by victory1auto »

Re head gasket - for your application you should be fine with the Reinz OE gasket. Re stock cam, I would be inclined to try to find a good used OE cam. I made an inquiry re an aftermarket stock cam but don't expect a reply 'til Monday. If promising I will PM you.

Vic

victory1auto

Post by victory1auto »

Vincent, I just PMed you.

Vic

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Hi Vic,
For some reason I did not receive the PM. I tried sending you one last night and I don't think that went thru either.
Vin

victory1auto

Post by victory1auto »