Roundel Repair?

Anything that doesn't fit in other forums goes here.
gfield

Roundel Repair?

Post by gfield »

The glue that attaches the BMW Roundel to the rear trunk of my E36 M3 has broken down in other words the glue has lost its' stick. The enamel Roundel face has popped off. Does anyone have a recommendation on what to use to safely remove the existing glue/adhesive? What type of adhesive do people recommend to reattach the Roundel with?

Greg Field
1997 Boston Green M3 Coupe

sgoatley2001e46

Re: Roundel Repair?

Post by sgoatley2001e46 »

Full disclosure: I have no experience with this repair. However, I'm betting it's that hard epoxy like glue, right? I'd break off as much as I can, gently without taking any paint up with it (maybe sand it down so it's at least level). If you order a new Roundel from Bavarian Autosport as opposed to the dealer, I'm reasonably certain they've experienced this before and could provide some tips and suggestions regarding what to use.

gfield

Post by gfield »

The glue has turned into a soft goo similar to gum and less sticky than rubber cement. Per advice from Blake I was able to remove most of it with a plastic knife and spoon. There is still a gummy layer that doesn't come off easily. It seems the metal is soft like aluminum with the enamel inlaid onto it. I am now looking for a good solvent that won't affect the enamel or the aluminum but remove the final amount of sticky stuff left over.

Greg Field
1997 Boston Green M3 Coupe

sgoatley2001e46

Post by sgoatley2001e46 »

Would Goo Gone or white vinegar work? Not sure if it would damage the paint though?

BJerolimic
Location: Glen Ridge, NJ . . . . . . '98 318ti - '01 M5 - '08 X5

Post by BJerolimic »

strange... I've replaced various roundels on cars from the 80s (e28/e30) through the 00s and never once were they held on with anything other than pressure from rubber grommets

and gone but not forgotten:
'00 323Ci Steel Grey / Black Dinan & UUC & Schnitzer mods
'89 325iX Diamond Black / Black 4dr 5spd Dinan chip, Ireland exhaust, H&R+Koni
'01 525iTa

gfield

Post by gfield »

The Roundel has actually split open with the enamel facing. The metal backing that pops in with the small grommets is still in place. I was hoping to just reattach the enamel facing. I was able to remove the remainder of the glue with Tide and a soft toothbrush.

I am looking for some recommendations for a proper adhesive now.

Greg

afadeev

Post by afadeev »

gfield wrote:The Roundel has actually split open with the enamel facing. The metal backing that pops in with the small grommets is still in place. I was hoping to just reattach the enamel facing. I was able to remove the remainder of the glue with Tide and a soft toothbrush.

I am looking for some recommendations for a proper adhesive now.

Greg
Greg.
A brand new roundel will probably run you $10-20.
Just replace the whole thing.

BTDT,
a