HPDE Skid Pad and AutoX saved my A S

Come here to discuss anything on the topic of our highly regarded Driver School program.
dbcafy

HPDE Skid Pad and AutoX saved my A S

Post by dbcafy »

After my close call this weekend. I’m happy to say that all my HPDE/Skid-pad and AutoX sessions had finally paid off. Anna and I kept driving afterwards and made it home in time for the Super Bowl. Here is what happened: we were driving home from Okemo ski resort in Ludlow, VT yesterday afternoon. It was snowing on US-7 South, we were driving through the Green Mountain and Finger Lakes National Forest (see picture - no shoveling or salt on the road). Was cruising at around 35-40 MPH when the SUV slid on some ice. I lost control and the SUV started to slide left at a 30 degree angle, into oncoming traffic and the guard rail on the other side of the road. I thought we were going to crash, Anna was bracing for impact!

From my experience with track days, instinct and practice took over. I did my CPR (Correct, Pause, Recover) and pointed the steering wheel into the direction I wanted to go. Somewhere between the center line and the ice pack on the other side, I found some traction and able to recover the initial slide. I’m now diving on the wrong side of the road and facing oncoming traffic. I gently steered the SUV backing our lane and kept on driving. I’m sure we gave the other drivers quite a scare and a show. All this took place in seconds, but I can still replay this encounter over and over again in my mind and in Super Slow-Mo.

With that said, glad we made it home safely. Those rainy track days and skid-pad experience had been a bummer at the time but finally paid off yesterday!! Those of you who is still considering your first BMWCCA driving event, it’s well worth the time and money.

Drive Safe Brother!!
Dave
Attachments
aa3.jpg
aa3.jpg (92.97 KiB) Viewed 4587 times
2011 M3 sedan, ZCP, DCT, Dinan Exhaust, aFe Intake
2003 540i, M-Sports Pkg (retired)