Whack Your Turkey Rally, Sunday 11/21/2010

Post topics about banquets, picnics, and other social events here.
jont

Whack Your Turkey Rally, Sunday 11/21/2010

Post by jont »

The annual Whack Your Turkey Road Rally is a go! Please join your fellow club members and I on November 21, 2010 to get in on the fun. This is a gimmick road rally, where each car is given a set of directions, and then asked questions about things you will see along the route. Some questions are easy, others difficult, and often hilariously funny (at least to the rallymaster). The rally ends at a restaurant, where you can share lunch, and commiserate with your car's occupants, and everyone else who's finished.

There are two classes for this event. All two person vehicles will be entered into the Competition Class, and your ranking counts towards the club's annual Driver of the Year competition. Vehicles with three or more people will be placed in the Family/Fun Class, and you will compete against each other. Everyone will be required to sign the waiver, which we will have at the event. If you are bringing Children, please download and fill out This Form for each child that is participating, and give it to the rallymaster(me) when you register at the event.

The entrance fee is $25 per car. Please bring exact change if you can. You should arrive at the event with a full tank of gas, pencils or pens, and a clipboard for your navigator to write on. There are restrooms at the start. We'd like to wrap up registration by 9AM and have the driver's meeting then. The first car should be sent at 9:30 AM.

The starting location is Chimney Rock Park on Chimney Rock Road in Martinsville, NJ. Click on this link for its location and directions We intend to have the driver's meeting at 9AM, and have the first car off by 9:30 AM.

To sign up, please send email to rallymaster@ackthud.net, indicating your name, and the names of others in your car.
-Jon Trudel, #163357

320iJT

Post by 320iJT »

We will be there and maybe in the 7! 8)
~ JT Burkard ~
Brick, NJ
1977 320i

jont

Post by jont »

320iJT wrote:We will be there and maybe in the 7! 8)
I don't really care what you bring, so long as it's street legal, and finishes! :P

This is just a friendly bump to ask that if you plan on participating, could you please send me an RSVP so we have a rough count on how many cars will be running? Thanks!
-Jon Trudel, #163357

jont

Post by jont »

Just a friendly bump. If you are planning on attending, please email rallymaster@ackthud.net soon with a list of who'll be in your vehicle, so I can get an accurate headcount for the restaurant at the end.

I didn't mention originally, but I just wanted to add that sometimes, people bring binoculars to see some of the possibly smaller clues more clearly.
-Jon Trudel, #163357

SmokeyDP

Post by SmokeyDP »

If they have a game going on at fields in that park then its going to be a little tough getting everyone in there and organized. It's big enough for our group but not if there is something else going on at the same time.
2001 Phoenix Yellow M3:
Schrick cams-Custom Tune-Supersprint full exhaust - Brembo 14" BBK brake kit - TC Kline Double Adjustable coilovers - Vorshlag caster/camber plates - CSL front bumper

jont

Post by jont »

SmokeyDP wrote:If they have a game going on at fields in that park then its going to be a little tough getting everyone in there and organized. It's big enough for our group but not if there is something else going on at the same time.
Yes, and that's one of the reasons we're trying to get the first car off by 9:30 AM.
-Jon Trudel, #163357

jont

Post by jont »

One Week to go.
-Jon Trudel, #163357

DougDish

Post by DougDish »

Bump
2017 Silverado 1500
2017 GTC4Lusso
2011 458 Italia
2008 E82

320iJT

Post by 320iJT »

Unfortunately Sandy and I are unable to make it tomorrow. We have a sick Kitty that needs some monitoring for the next day or so and we can't leave him alone for that many hours. This is the first Rally we will be missing since we became members.

We will miss everyone so do well. Of course this gives everyone else a better chance of winning since we will be out of it this time.

See you at the Dec meeting on the 7th.
~ JT Burkard ~
Brick, NJ
1977 320i

MTROIS

Post by MTROIS »

Greetings from France! Unfortunately we could not join you but we are thinking of you and wish you all the best of day...and lots of lots of fun!!!
2019 M2 Competition (Euro Delivery!)
2008 M3 Coupé
1995 M3 LTW
...all Manual Transmissions!!

jont

Post by jont »

Well, today turned into quite a fine day for a rally. Time was the most precious commodity in the rally, and everyone had the same difficulty. In the end, the winners were clear. For the two classes, here are the final results:

Competition Class
Rank, Driver, Navigator
  • 1 Ross Karlin, Dave McIntyre
    2 Tim Farnsworth, Robert Chrzanowski
    3 Larry Engel, Karin Engel
    4 Neil Gambony, Doug Feigel
    5 Bill Leighton, Barbara Leighton
    6 Chris Faust, Sarah Bryson
    7 Doug Finley, Marilyn Finley
    8 John Hulbrock, Mark Hulbrock
    9 Michael Katsoris, Tom Quigley
    10 Keith Silverman, Joan Silverman
    11 Robert Levine, Carol Levine
    12 Steve Pulvers, Jerry Eure
    13 Scott Parthum, Andrea Torok
    DQ Brian Morgan, Francine Cracker
Family Class
Rank, Driver, Navigator, Passenger, Passenger
  • 1 Jeff White, Patricia Camp, Lucas B, Neonia Levitsky
    2 Jaoquim Nororonha, Brian Noronha, Alan Goldin, Joseph Thompson
    3 Scott Buono, Rick Gander, Jen Gander
    4 Chris Holewski, Matt Doherty, Cathleen Dale
    5 Kevin Sheehy, Mary Sheehy, Andres Sheehy ,Chris Evans
    6 Michael Boudway, Yasmin Pareti Boudway, Isabella Pareti
Special thanks to Mark and Jackie Mallory, whose assistance was vital in making this event happen. Thanks are also due to Doug Feigel and Jamie Kavalieros, who helped provide prizes for today. We will be posting the rally route and questions shortly, in case there is interest in running it independently.
Last edited by jont on Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jon Trudel, #163357

davidmcintyre

Post by davidmcintyre »

It was a very hard rally. Here is a picture of Ross and I between questions 56 and 57, trying to make up some time. Thanks to John, Mark and Jackie for such a fun morning.

-Dave

kevnj

Post by kevnj »

John, Mark and Jackie,

Thank you for such a great event. All your hard work paid off! We had a great time and look forward to the next one.
1988 E30 M3
1991 E30 318is
2003 E46 330i ZHP
2009 Jetta TDi 6 Speed Manual
2008 Simplicity Lawn Tractor (18 HP V-Twin)

jwhite

Post by jwhite »

Let me add our thanks to Jon, Mark and Jackie. A good route, tough clues, lots of fun.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Jeff

jont

Post by jont »

I was reminded tonight that I didn't post the Rally route and instructions that people had requested.

You can get the file here. It's in MS Excel format.
-Jon Trudel, #163357