WTB: Z4 convertible (E85)

Selling a BMW? Looking for one? This is the place for you.
LilVic20

WTB: Z4 convertible (E85)

Post by LilVic20 »

Hi, all. I need to upgrade my street car, and I'm hoping to treat myself to a Z4. I was hoping some of you might have advice for me, or even better, perhaps a lead on a nice car. I'm looking for the following:

Years - 2005-2007
Trans - 6-sp manual (only)
Engine - 3.0 (SI preferred)
Mileage - < 100k (~ 60-75k preferred)
Interior - No wood trim, no sat nav, not tan (black preferred)
Other - No collisions, Sport package preferred

I've been looking for ~ 2 months, and examined 2 supposedly good-condition cars so far, but both of them had been hit and repaired. I'm surprised how many of these are automatic! I didn't think it would be this difficult to find one of these that has been well cared for.

Any feedback you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

-Vic Jr.
vlucariello@celgene.com

stix217

Re: WTB: Z4 convertible (E85)

Post by stix217 »

Looking quickly I see ferrari of central jersey has one but it's an M so I don't know what you budget/pain tolerance is.

Also I see this one on CL but the CAPS and the ad in general make me wonder a bit.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/4995273468.html

The bad news is that you have very specific requirements, so your pool of potential vehicles is much less...the good news is that once you do find a match, it should (hopefully) be an easy decision.

Have you considered looking outaide the immediate area? I've always had the idea that one of these days I'm going to find the perfect car in Virginia or or the Carolina's or something like that. Then I can buy a one way ticket there and drive it back.

LilVic20

Post by LilVic20 »

Hey, thanks a lot for the help. Actually, I examined that car on Wed after work... it was hit on the right and has a new door and rear quarter. The panels do not align well and I even heard wind noise from the right window at 55+ on the highway. I was expecting a more solid feeling car for this price point.

This is the first one I checked out:
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/4994848005.html
The LF fender and headlight have been replaced, plus the engine didn't feel very smooth (it also has been sitting outside for the past ~ 2-3 years and hasn't been used regularly in a few months). But it did feel pretty solid on the test drive.

You're right, my search criteria are pretty specific and with only ~ 4 weeks until summer, the pool of good cars will be rapidly diminishing... but for a really good match, I would be willing to go out of state, even if it required a 1-way plane ticket.

Oh, good point on price... I think I only could manage up to ~ $15-16k for the right car, so there's no way I could score a Z4 M (but for a daily driver, I technically don't need a ///M).

RAYADAM

Post by RAYADAM »

Vic,
the E85 is relatively a decent car with a good engine and chassis. It still built on the 1st generation of EPS steering unless you got a M version. I had a 08 3.0si with a 6spd on company lease and was damn quick and fun. steering was ok for it's time. EPS has gone a long way and is near perfect nowadays. Good thing is ,that there isn't too many problems that I know of.
Now the big thing is ,we do a lot of convertible top motors. the motors get corroded for water drainage. this repair requires the top to be removed.not a terrible job for the experienced. If you get one of those garage kept cars or someone that actually ponied up the hideous cash for a removable hard top,that might be a better purchase.
IMO ,I would rather have a Z3 . good old E30 rear suspension ,E36 front . Still gives you 80-90's unforgiving feel :) . My wife is on her 3rd E89 ,1st was the 3.0si and last 2 are N20's .This is a hell of a car !! but too current for your budget.

Good luck!!!
Ray
Ray
2011 X5d
2018 Shelby GT350

stix217

Post by stix217 »

I hear Virginia is nice this time of year....

http://www.auditysonscorner.com/used/BM ... 801689.htm