X3 buying advice

ccraig13

X3 buying advice

Post by ccraig13 »

Hey everyone, my mom is in the market for a new car to replace our recently totaled Camry. I was obligated by my father to take them to look at Hondas, toyotas, hyundais, and Subarus, but was able to squeeze BMW in there at the end. Well guess what? She loved the BMW!(shocking, I know). The one we're looking at is a 2008 with 98k miles on the clock for $15k. It's being sold at a reputable BMW shop and has had one previous owner who traded it in to them.

So my question is, are there any known items that break down at this point in its life? I know it may not have the same low maintenance as a Camry, but I'm just concerned about anything major that might pop up.

Thanks!
2007 328xi E92 6MT Jet Black/Coral Red

victory1auto

Post by victory1auto »

In addition to a detailed pre-purchase inspection, you should find out the oil-change history and transmission-service history along with what repairs have been done. That is arguably more important than folks speculating on what might go wrong.

I personally would tend to shy away from a Bimmer that has 100k and has only had oil changes when the on-board monitor calls for them. Hence the importance of determining the oil-change history.

ccraig13

Post by ccraig13 »

Thanks I'll check that out!
2007 328xi E92 6MT Jet Black/Coral Red

BrianSMorgan

Post by BrianSMorgan »

I just sold a 92,000 mile X3. It was my second, and I loved both it and the earlier one. I've traded for an X1.
But I would be wary of a high mileage X3. If anything breaks out of warranty it is very expensive to fix. Try a transfer case actuator, a part in the AWD system, that retails for $1100.
Find a good certified pre owned X3 with lower mileage and a warranty up to six years or 100,000 miles.

stix217

Post by stix217 »

Also might want to check the rear springs...I believe they're prone to failure similar to e46 springs.