Mechanic recommendation in South Jersey . . .

fared01

Mechanic recommendation in South Jersey . . .

Post by fared01 »

Hello all! I am a new member from Mount Laurel. My 1995 740i needs a new evaporator! I have to my old mechanics and they don't want to touch it. The dealer quoted me $3200. About $1000 for parts and 15.5 hrs of labor.

I am hoping to find someone fairly local who can help me out here.

BTW: I am a pretty fair mechanic . . . should I try to take this on myself and then just take it and have it charged?

Thanks,

Ed

JeffNJM3

Post by JeffNJM3 »

Hi Ed,

Welcome to the club! I'm not sure all whats involved it replacing the evaperator core in your seven, but I'm sure its buried deep in that dash. You could try www.bimrs.org for some local independant shops, or with a service manual like the Bentley you could try changing it yourself. You would, of course, still have to have it charged by a shop. MrMCar might be a good choice for you, but I'm not sure how far they are from you.

Good luck!

Jeff
Jeff Burgess
Member # 190685
1989 BMW M3
2001 BMW M3 vert
1990 Mustang Lx 5.0 vert - FOR SALE
2005 Nissan Xterra on 33's - FOR SALE

fared01

Post by fared01 »

Thanks . . . I just checked over there. I already talked to the only South Jersey shop listed.

You have to remove the entire dash to get to the evaporator!

Ed

taki318ti

Post by taki318ti »

Hi i am an independent tech work for myself and have done this job and jeff and the dealer is right it is buried behind the dash and it takes all those hours to do its not for the faint of heart. I am in wrightstown and work from home most of the time but would need the car for a few days as I run from shop to shop helping on other cars for people but let me know you can email me at takibmw5@yahoo.com Pete Revenidis