E38 Tune-up

GimmieSumMo72

E38 Tune-up

Post by GimmieSumMo72 »

I have a 1996 740iL and was wondering what spark plugs you guys use?

Also I was wondering how often you should change the ignition wires/coil packs in these cars and what kind of oil you personally use?

Thanks!

colin

Post by colin »

I'm in the middle of a valve cover job on my 1993 740iL, so...

OEM Spark plugs are NGK BKR 6 EK, and there's no good reason to use anything else. I got them for about $7.50 each at Open Road with my CCA discount.

Coils basically either work, or they don't. Don't change them until they die. There's no ignition wires to worry about, really.

There's Amsoil 10W-40 in my car now, and that's probably what will be in there after I change it soon, too.

GimmieSumMo72

Post by GimmieSumMo72 »

thats interesting...

I just ordered Bosch Platinum +4's (got them for $4.81 each) thought I'd give them a shot (should last 100k), and I was thinking about using Castrol's 5w-40.

I'm currently using Mobil 1 5w-30 but I think that the car may run smoother with a thicker oil.

The Castrol 5w-40 runs great in my E36 during the summer and I'm waiting to see how it performs in the colder weather.

Anyone have experience with the Bosch Platinum +4's?

mderienzo

Post by mderienzo »

GimmieSumMo72 wrote:thats interesting...

I just ordered Bosch Platinum +4's (got them for $4.81 each) thought I'd give them a shot (should last 100k), and I was thinking about using Castrol's 5w-40.

I'm currently using Mobil 1 5w-30 but I think that the car may run smoother with a thicker oil.

The Castrol 5w-40 runs great in my E36 during the summer and I'm waiting to see how it performs in the colder weather.

Regarding oil, I would strictly follow the weight recommendation in the owners manual. In my opinion, Mobil 1 and Castrol are both good brands and I currently use them both in different vehicles.

I had a center electrode come out of a Bosch Platinum +4 in my E30 after only a few thousand miles (no track time). Another member here had the same experience with a new set of +4s on the way up to Lime Rock a couple years back if I recall correctly. Since then, I usually stick with whatever BMW (or any other mfgr) recommends and I've never had a problem with stock plugs.

Also, I think it is best to change plugs at least every 50-60k miles. A car might run with the same plugs in it for 100k miles, but it won't run good. I changed the "100k mile" iridium plugs in our 4Runner at 60k miles and the engine runs smoother and we picked up 2MPG.

If you are performing a tune up, don't forget fuel and air filters.

HTH,
Mark

sgoatley2001e46

Post by sgoatley2001e46 »

GimmieSumMo72 wrote:thats interesting...

I can't say that I've had too much of a problem with the Bosch Platinum +4's in my e46. I checked around before actually picking them up and found out that BMW recommended a Bosch plug with 4 tips...they didn't call it the Platinum +4 though. I got in touch with an independent guy who checked with Bosch directly and it turns out they use different part numbers for the same part. It just depends on who they're selling to. They might have one number for BMW, and a totally different number for a retail store.

My recommendation would be to use the plugs and after about 1000 miles, pull to check for normal wear. I've had mine in for about 3000 miles (no track time) and all seems to be going well...knock on wood.

victory1auto

Post by victory1auto »

To supplement a bit Mark's post, I agree that the factory-recommended plugs are usually the best choice for stock motors.

There is another reason, in my opinion, not to leave spark plugs installed for 100,000 miles. They can become very hard to remove from those expensive aluminum heads, especially if they are the original plugs and have not had a touch of anti-seize compound applied to their threads.

I feel that a good spark-plug-change interval on cars with "100k" spark plugs is 60-70k.

Vic

colin

Post by colin »

mderienzo wrote: Regarding oil, I would strictly follow the weight recommendation in the owners manual.
Mike Miller, the tech editor at Roundel and our guest at this month's meeting, has some interesting opinions regarding BMW's recommendations for oil weight. He seems to think whatever BMW recommends may be artificially low, in an attempt to boost fuel economy. I don't know if he's right, but it's a compelling notion, and I'll be sure to ask him more about it in a couple of weeks.

GimmieSumMo72

Post by GimmieSumMo72 »

colin wrote:
mderienzo wrote: Regarding oil, I would strictly follow the weight recommendation in the owners manual.
Mike Miller, the tech editor at Roundel and our guest at this month's meeting, has some interesting opinions regarding BMW's recommendations for oil weight. He seems to think whatever BMW recommends may be artificially low, in an attempt to boost fuel economy. I don't know if he's right, but it's a compelling notion, and I'll be sure to ask him more about it in a couple of weeks.
really?

i usually use 1 qt per cylinder and one for the filter. it usually works for me!

im not really sure what the manual says...

mderienzo

Post by mderienzo »

I tend to agree with Mike on that point. What I meant was I would not go any lower than what is listed in the manual. My perspective is that I own, drive and work on mostly older BMWs where 20w50 is recommended for most NJ driving conditions.

Mark

GimmieSumMo72

Post by GimmieSumMo72 »

wow! 20w50?

i would figure that the 20 would be too thick for general start-up and the winters we have...

mderienzo

Post by mderienzo »

GimmieSumMo72 wrote:wow! 20w50?

i would figure that the 20 would be too thick for general start-up and the winters we have...
I usually switch to 10W40 for the winter even though, according to my '84 533i's owners manual, it isn't recommended above 40 degrees F. 20w50 is recommended down to 0F! The car does live in a garage that never goes below 45F but it does get driven every day.

Mark

GimmieSumMo72

Post by GimmieSumMo72 »

im not sure but i always thought that the 1st number is the thickness when cold (or startup) and the 2nd number was the thickness upon operating temps.

wouldn't you go with a lower number for easier startups or winter temps? i.e. 0w-40 vs 20w-50?

mderienzo

Post by mderienzo »

GimmieSumMo72 wrote:im not sure but i always thought that the 1st number is the thickness when cold (or startup) and the 2nd number was the thickness upon operating temps.

wouldn't you go with a lower number for easier startups or winter temps? i.e. 0w-40 vs 20w-50?
Yes! I use 10w40 in the winter and 20w50 spring / summer /fall.

Mark

GimmieSumMo72

Post by GimmieSumMo72 »

aaaahhh sooo!!!!

so i should continue using what I have now and change in the summer!

thanks!