Brake pads and lines feedback, E92

TMANN

Brake pads and lines feedback, E92

Post by TMANN »

I just purchased the Cool Carbon brake pads and ECS ss brake lines for an upgrade (mostly just to do HPDE) to my '07 E92. I have 41K miles on the original pads and rotors, with the wear sensors telling me I have another 14K or so life on the originals. I do not plan to replace my rotors at this time. I have a few questions:

1. Any need to prematurely replace my rotors?

2. I plan to swap my OEM pads back onto the OEM rotors after the track season for the winter. Is that a problem?

3. After reading the brake-bedding procedure, it appears I'll need 300-500 miles to get them properly bedded? Therefore it doesn't appear I should make a swap from my original OEM pads to the new Cool Carbons a few days before an HPDE event?

4. It seems I read all the time about guys who swap pads before track days. How do they do this and keep their rotors from wearing unevenly? Or are there any other issues I should be aware of?

5. Do I need to replace the brake wear sensors when the pads are changed, or just the rotors?

6. Any idea how much it might cost in labor to swap the brake likes and pads?

7. Anyone out there aching to teach a newbie how to change brake pads, lines and flush? ;)
(Do we have club meetings where these kinds of maintenance things are demonstrated?)

gfield

Post by gfield »

These questions are tough to answer in writing for specific legal reasons. I am not assuming any liability by answering as a non qualified person.

1. Stock Rotors with Stock pads are replaced by BMW at the same time all the time when under warranty.
2.The ride may be rough until the pads are properly bedded.
3. Put your new pads on before you drive to the event. The drive down will help to bed them in.
4. I bring a spare set of rotors and track pads that are matched to eachother.
5. The brake sensors are a onetime use item. Once the light goes off they must be replaced because it wears down with the pad. Once the plastic is worn away and you are metal to metal you need to get a new one.
6. Wide World BMW charges $450 just to replace rear pads and rotors.
7. NJ Club has had this seminar in the past.

I hope I helped some.

I encourage you to attend an HPDE, bring a spare set of pads front and rear and some extra OEM brake fluid.

Sincerely,
Gregory Field

pm335

Re: Brake pads and lines feedback, E92

Post by pm335 »

From a e92 fellow that briefly ran CCs last year:

1. No way to tell without inspecting them

2. Why? The cool carbon pads are good/quiet street pads. In fact, they remove the artificial initial OEM bite for a more predictable and gradual brake feel without compromising brake distance. By the way anyone beyond beginner level at HPDEs can make them fade within a few laps. (they're not track pads).

3. Cool Carbon (the company) recommends 2 bedding procedures. One is a series of near-stops from specific speeds, the other is a gradual bedding process over 300+ miles. Choose one or the other. Either way, this has to be done with a set or rotors that will be used with these pads.

4. 2-ways. Either have dedicated rotors for your track pads, or let the track pads scrape away the friction material of your street pads off the rotors. Not as seamless going back to the street pads after that. The former is hassle-free and safer.

5. If you've tripped the sensors, they need to be replaced, otherwise, no. A lot of us tie-wrap them behind the wheel for track events as some track pads can melt them in-place (Hawk DTC70s for example). CCs won't do that.

6. Look for AKMotorwerk at e90post.com, they'll help you out.

7. Same as #6. Once they show you once, you can do this on your own.

Good luck
TMANN wrote:I just purchased the Cool Carbon brake pads and ECS ss brake lines for an upgrade (mostly just to do HPDE) to my '07 E92. I have 41K miles on the original pads and rotors, with the wear sensors telling me I have another 14K or so life on the originals. I do not plan to replace my rotors at this time. I have a few questions:

1. Any need to prematurely replace my rotors?

2. I plan to swap my OEM pads back onto the OEM rotors after the track season for the winter. Is that a problem?

3. After reading the brake-bedding procedure, it appears I'll need 300-500 miles to get them properly bedded? Therefore it doesn't appear I should make a swap from my original OEM pads to the new Cool Carbons a few days before an HPDE event?

4. It seems I read all the time about guys who swap pads before track days. How do they do this and keep their rotors from wearing unevenly? Or are there any other issues I should be aware of?

5. Do I need to replace the brake wear sensors when the pads are changed, or just the rotors?

6. Any idea how much it might cost in labor to swap the brake likes and pads?

7. Anyone out there aching to teach a newbie how to change brake pads, lines and flush? ;)
(Do we have club meetings where these kinds of maintenance things are demonstrated?)