e39 Audio Upgrade

dtorp110

e39 Audio Upgrade

Post by dtorp110 »

Hey All,
I am looking to do a self installation of a dvd/stereo in my 97 e39. Anyone have any advice? Do I use the amplifier on the unit, or the one in the car. Should I do the speakers?? Lend some advice :0)
Thanks!

Doug

m20power

Post by m20power »

Doug,

I did this on my '97 M3, and I don't know how much would apply to an E39. I think it's safe to say though, that BMW stereos are designed as integrated systems and the individual components do not play that well with others (except, maybe, the sub-par speakers). The amp generally wants more than pre-amp level inputs but less than speaker level inputs, so an aftermarket head unit will not integrate cleanly (but, you can buy a distortion-adding converter box for this purpose). The amp also contains the speaker crossovers, making another amp hook-up more difficult. The so-called "diversity antenna" works great with a BMW head unit, but not aftermarket (at least not with mine).

After evaluating my design options, I decided it was really an all-or-nothing affair. So, on this car I did it all - head unit, two amps, crossovers, speakers, sub and wires. Big job, excellent outcome.

So, it depends on your objective re sound quality, how long you will keep car, budget, time, etc. Good luck!

HTH, Bob
'11 335i Convertible - Street
'02 325Ci - Street
'97 M3 Coupe - Street
'17 340i - Wife's ride
No automatics!