Evolve Automotive

Paul

Evolve Automotive

Post by Paul »

Does anyone have an experiences, either good or bad with the tuning upgrades to the ECU from this company Evolve?
I have an E39 M5 with the SES fault code related to the secondary air carbon issue and they said they could delete it with their upgrade.

victory1auto

Post by victory1auto »

I have no experience or knowledge of Evolve.

In general, one must be leary of software "upgrades" and "fixes" that claim to extinguish a SES [MIL] lamp.

In New Jersey, the present OBD II inspection requires tha the SES be operational: that it come ON with the ignition and go OFF with the engine running. The inspection also requires that there be no fault codes set in the DME memory, and that the "monitors" that check various emissions-related functions [such as secondary-air system flow rate] show as "complete" when the DME is scanned.

BJerolimic
Location: Glen Ridge, NJ . . . . . . '98 318ti - '01 M5 - '08 X5

Post by BJerolimic »

I believe what the Evolve tune does is flag that one part of OBD-II sensors to show as "not ready" under the assumption that most states allow for a max of 1 sensor to show as "not ready" and still get a pass. Vic is NJ a state that allows for 1 "not ready" showing?

and gone but not forgotten:
'00 323Ci Steel Grey / Black Dinan & UUC & Schnitzer mods
'89 325iX Diamond Black / Black 4dr 5spd Dinan chip, Ireland exhaust, H&R+Koni
'01 525iTa

mmarv

Post by mmarv »

BJerolimic wrote:I believe what the Evolve tune does is flag that one part of OBD-II sensors to show as "not ready" under the assumption that most states allow for a max of 1 sensor to show as "not ready" and still get a pass. Vic is NJ a state that allows for 1 "not ready" showing?
I'll confirm the answer to that is NO.
-------------------------
2017 BMW M2

BJerolimic
Location: Glen Ridge, NJ . . . . . . '98 318ti - '01 M5 - '08 X5

Post by BJerolimic »

ok then my understanding of Evolve's tune may be wrong, sorry

and gone but not forgotten:
'00 323Ci Steel Grey / Black Dinan & UUC & Schnitzer mods
'89 325iX Diamond Black / Black 4dr 5spd Dinan chip, Ireland exhaust, H&R+Koni
'01 525iTa

victory1auto

Post by victory1auto »

My information is: depending upon the model year, present NJ OBD II Inspection will allow either one or two monitors to show as "Not Ready".

cfaust

Post by cfaust »

I was able to pass one year using this approach (maybe '08?), though have since replaced the catalytic converter. '96 3 series.
1996 318ti - Street
1989 325is - Track
1988 M3 - Garage
2005 Expedition - Tow

mmarv

Post by mmarv »

I failed 2 weeks ago when one readiness test was not ready. I figured a month after resetting the system would be enough. I was wrong.
2017 BMW M2

victory1auto

Post by victory1auto »

Is the reason for your failure only that one monitor showed as "Incomplete" or did you have trouble codes set as well?

If only for the one monitor, then perhaps my information is out of date and the MVC will now fail you even if you have an incomplete monitor.

mmarv

Post by mmarv »

victory1auto wrote:Is the reason for your failure only that one monitor showed as "Incomplete" or did you have trouble codes set as well?

If only for the one monitor, then perhaps my information is out of date and the MVC will now fail you even if you have an incomplete monitor.
No codes present at time of inspection. Failure was the incomplete monitor.
2017 BMW M2