Radio display

O2BFREE

Radio display

Post by O2BFREE »

re: 2003 530i w/Business radio. Digital display on radio gone bad, blank line across display cutting letters/numbers in half, otherwise plays OK.
Fix? Do it myself?
Thanx

kbsilver

Post by kbsilver »

The display failure is common in the E39, and is somewhat expensive. The radio is actually in the unit above that contains the CD (or tape) player, The unit with the display is just that, a display. It comes out easily. Pull off the volume control knob and there will be a allen bolt, something like 1/4 turn unlocks the unit and it comes right out.

As this is essentially a design defect BMW has been known to do a goodwill one time replacement, but now at 7 years, they may or may not. To find out you need to go to your favorite dealer, have them confirm this is the problem and have them ask on your behalf for a replacement. The offers range from free part you pay for installation (an hours labor, yes it takes about 3 minutes - this is the deal I got years ago), 50% discount on part you pay for labor, to no deal.

If you look in Roundel Mag, there are usually at least one company advertising to fix the displays.
-Keith

'11 335D & '17 340GT