Tires/wheels for E39

letterman

Tires/wheels for E39

Post by letterman »

A couple of questions/comments. First, my car has been sounding like its wheel bearings are shot, but the local dealership says the noise is due to tire wear. I have a 2001 5-speed 530i with 23k miles on it. Could the original tires be shot so quickly? This is hard for me to believe!

If they are done (meaning that this is the mileage I should expect from them - the dealer says I should have only expected to get 18k from them!), I hope to keep them until late-November and possibly put some new wheels and snow tires on the car for the winter. What should I bee looking for in snows and new wheels? I haven't done this before. How much should such a swap wind up costing?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

m20power

Post by m20power »

It's a lot easier to believe that your tires are shot than a worn wheel bearing at 23k. Those bearings will probably last +150k. If your dealer thinks the tires are worn out, then this may be the problem. If you suspect that only the front or rears are worn, or only one tire, then swap front to rear and see if ther noise disappears or moves.

Snows and wheels - try tirerack.com.

Good luck,

Bob

badbadm

Post by badbadm »

Unfortunately, tire wear is most likely the culprit on the E39 5 Series cars, especially if equipped with Sport package (you didn't say, but your manual gearbox suggests you have it). The fronts may show some scalloping on the tire shoulders (this creates noise) and the rears will wear evenly but quickly, dependent on your right foot usage. BMW chooses pretty sticky tires for each car it builds, which helps create the legendary athletic performance, but also means the tires won't last as long as those on a Chrysler. :?
BMW recommends against tire rotation, but they also specify that IF you choose to rotate your tires, it should be done every 3000 miles.
One final tip: avoid the Dunlop tires when you replace the originals, because the Dunlops have shown inferior wear patterns to the other OEM selections.

letterman

Post by letterman »

I would agree that 23k miles would be pretty early for bearing to go, but with the number of problems I have had with this car (luckily all covered under warranty - but that ends in another month), nothing would surprise me. I am used to tires lasting 40k miles (yes, not on a BMW, but on Nissans, Ford trucks, Hondas, etc.). The dealer recommended Continental tires as being the best value for the money as replacements.

I will check out tirerack.com. Any ideas as far as expected cost of wheels for snows, width of those, etc.? I am truly a newbie in this regard.

Thanks again.
Dave

frusso

Post by frusso »

Hi Dave,

I agree with the others on tires are probably causing the noise. My girlfriend has a 2003 530i with the sport package and managed to get 30k out of the original Continentals. She actually should have changed them at 25k but like yourself couldn't believe they would wear out so fast. She switched to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and I have to say they have been extremely great. Noise level is nil, smooth ride, handles better then the OEM and so far after 10k have shown no tread wear yet. Your going to pay more up front for them but she is banking on getting more in the long run.... and she might be right.

Good luck.

Frank

kbsilver

Post by kbsilver »

Yes, It is probably tires. You get that womp womp womp sound? Just went thru this with my 2000 328I with 50K on the original tires (Conti Touring). They were not worn out, 4/32 on the rears 5/32 on the fronts. Changed tires, noise was gone.

I've had this same thing happed to a set of Michlens on another car. The tread was not worn out, but changed them due to noise.

I did rotate these tires once, but had them rebalanced (dealer recommendation) when I did. Never had any probelms. For most BMW's if you do not rotate, you will replace the rears 2X as often as the front. Continentials are probably one of the best values, in cost per mile, even if you have to replace before the tread is completely worn out. However many of the other brands will perform better.

letterman

Post by letterman »

OK, to all those of you who said the tires were the problem, give yourselves a gold star! I dropped the $800+ on a new set of tires, and that did the trick. You have to admit that $0.03 per mile for tires is a bit steep.

Thanks for the advice.

DanH

Post by DanH »

i wish i found this thread earlier to help you out.

one thing E39's are known for is they eat tires like a cookie monster. the rears negative camber really chews out the inner part of the tire and the worst part is you'll never know it unless you bend over and look from under the car. The fronts aren't so bad so if you don't have staggered tire setups, i would suggest you rotate laterally (front driver with rear driver, front passenger with rear passenger).

I'm not sure what tires you have ordered but one key componet for you to look for, since your prioirity is longevity, is the wear rating. I just slapped on a set of Michelin A/S and it has a wear rating of, get ready for this, 400!!!! anything around 280 + isn't too bad. Might be able to squeeze 30K miles out of them depending how you drive. I'm only expecting that from my set of A/S.
Another thing that makes noise like you said is how the tire tread pattern is laided out. I have always avoided Yokohama Sports because of this. They are nothing but HUGE diamond blocks which, in my 300ZX Twinturbo, made a lot of noise. me no likie... me got pissed but got them on a deal i couldn't pass; if you want to see a car that eats tires, check out the Z's (Z32's or the Z33's). -1.5 degree UNADJUSTABLE front camber will do damage to any tires. The old aqua treads would make a noise because of the empty center rib to channel water but because of that rib, it made undesirable road noise.

Just my personal opinion, you whole life is riding on these 4 patchs of rubber. don't go cheap, it's not worth it. you can go cheap on gas, oil, air filter, etc since they'll only make you stranded or cost you to repair something related but tires is one thing that'll make you stay on the road or slide off into the woods in unexpected bad weather.

If you are looking for snow tires, i have a set of 16" borbet type H with Blizzack WS-15's i'm looking to sell. got lots of tread left. just sitting here stinking up my apartment. i've got another set of 17" so my type 19's, which are scratched up, will be my next winter season's rims. let me know.. make me an offer.. thanks!

OH, if it's your wheel bearings, i can get the front ones for $120 each.

letterman

Post by letterman »

I went with Michelin® Pilot Sport A/S 225/55R16 Ultra High Performance (from Costco, of all places), so it sounds like I got what you recommended. And yes, the wear rating was a big deciding factor. I will keep the rotation pattern you mentioned in mind. Keeping my fingers crossed. Seems like the bearings were fine.

Thanks for the late confirmation.