E39 A/C

clemmike

E39 A/C

Post by clemmike »

Came out to car today and have no A/C compressor clutch engagement.
Refrigerant full all lights on panel light up like normal, blower works ok , seem to respond to temp changes. Just stopped out of the blue anyone had a similar concern? Car is a 2003 530i Sport that just turned 100k. :?:
Just when you think you have all the answers someone always changes the question.

drautox

Post by drautox »

Check the ground strap at the compressor. If it is loose or broken, clutch will not engage.

victory1auto

Post by victory1auto »

In addition to checking the compressor-clutch ground as El suggests, check the compressor-clutch relay.

You say the refrigerant is full. How do you know this?

Vic

clemmike

Post by clemmike »

Used A/C gauge set to check refrig. Any easy way test clutch operation?
Where is ac relay located ? Looking at Bently manual it looks like it feeds direct from dash unit. Thanks in advance for all your help.
Just when you think you have all the answers someone always changes the question.

clemmike

Post by clemmike »

Looked at car today. Jumped 12v to compressor clutch and all works fine. Checked all fuses and found fuse 75 blown, this fuse controls aux engine cooling fan.Traced out wiring and found nothing grounded. Disconnected fan, fuse no longer blowing, tried 12v and ground direct to fan still not working, but you can see smoke so I assume fan is NG. Will order fan tomorrow. As a side note after I removed glove box to access fuse 75 I diconnected connectors at GM and had the alarm go off, now keys and central lock button inside car stopped working. Car starts and runs fine, doors and alarm still work when using key in L/S door, any thoughts?

clemmike

Post by clemmike »

Also interior lights are not working do I need to reset GM unit somehow?