Brake job price

RealM3E30

$$$$$

Post by RealM3E30 »

Jeff, what was the cost each plus freight/handling, I will call Chris and check it out. R 8)

kishg

Re: Brakes

Post by kishg »

RealM3E30 wrote:Has anyone called Chris at Zygmunt, "Bimmerparts", he is a "sponsor" and has great prices. Chris delivered a set of rotors and a pair of fogs to Pocono for me. Lets see Bimmerworld do that???? R 8)
if they are at the track they will deliver like most vendors :) bimmerparts has great prices too. definitely compare their prices as well. personally i'd pay a little extra to buy from a sponsor but don't forget that bimmerworld is a BMW CCA sponsor too.

pauln

Re: Brakes

Post by pauln »

RealM3E30 wrote:Has anyone called Chris at Zygmunt, "Bimmerparts", he is a "sponsor" and has great prices. Chris delivered a set of rotors and a pair of fogs to Pocono for me. Lets see Bimmerworld do that???? R 8)
+1 Let's support our sponsors!!

jnscaldwell

Re: $$$$$

Post by jnscaldwell »

RealM3E30 wrote:Jeff, what was the cost each plus freight/handling, I will call Chris and check it out. R 8)
Bob-
$109 for the front pair of rotors and $13.00 for shipping. This is for a 2004 E46 and they were Zimmermann OEM rotors, even had the BMW stamp and P/N on there. I am curious to see the Zygmunt pricing.

Jeff C.
17 F15 X5 40e
17 F25 X3 28i MSport
11 E92 M3 ZCP
04 E46 325cic
93 E36 325is - JS #172
12 Ford F350 King Ranch dually

fisher

brake parts price

Post by fisher »

Thanks for all your input on this topic. I did some research on the difference between BMW parts and OEM parts the online vendor sells. Someone said BMW rotors are factory-balanced, while the OEM parts probably may not be properly balanced, please see the following link for the discussion:
http://www.garageboy.com/bmw/brakefaq.html#stock

I decided to buy the BMW brake parts this time. I also found this dealership has really discounted price, crownbmw.com, it's just $100 more than bimmerworld for rear brakes (around $220), way cheaper than the local dealer quotes ($450 and above). I think this extra $100 will hopefully buy me peace of mind.

Most likely you guys will disagree with me on this as you use your bimmer more than just daily driving, and by no means I don't respect your choice of the vendor/parts.

Jeff: I will call you once I receive the parts. Thank you all!

kishg

Post by kishg »

that website looks like it's from the mid 90s.. I really doubt BMW is balancing rotors by shaving them after they get them from the OEM at present (if they ever did).

IDLYLT

Post by IDLYLT »

anyone use zeckhausen.com? i recently bought pads and rotors from him, and i thought his pricing was excellent.

kishg

Post by kishg »

IDLYLT wrote:anyone use zeckhausen.com? i recently bought pads and rotors from him, and i thought his pricing was excellent.
yes. dave z is very knowledgeable and has good prices.

dngo

Post by dngo »

kishg wrote:that website looks like it's from the mid 90s.. I really doubt BMW is balancing rotors by shaving them after they get them from the OEM at present (if they ever did).
Not only is that website very old, it is also wrong on a number of points. Specifically, the most incorrect 'fact' is that a front end shimmy is caused by 'warped' rotors. It is virtually impossible to warp brakes on a car driven strictly on the street - shimmy in that case is almost always caused by brake pad deposits on the rotors.

Also, it talks about having to loosen the e-brake to remove the rear rotors. This is unnecessary - just make sure the e-brake is off.

Of course, this is not intended to criticize your choice of source for the rotors. This is only to make people aware that a lot of info on that site is questionable.

Dave

fisher

brake parts price

Post by fisher »

For a person like me that has no inside knowledge of BMW, there is no way I will find out which info online is correct or not, your expertise on this really makes a difference. I guess it's too late now, they've already shipped out my order. I will definitely follow your recommendation next time.:-)

Although I am still puzzled why dealer price is so much higher than online vendors? If they are from the same oem manufacture w/o any extra work done on the same parts, either BMW or the dealers is making huge profit on the parts. Just use the "BMW" brand, and the price will double or even triple, that's ridiculous!

kishg

Re: brake parts price

Post by kishg »

fisher wrote: Although I am still puzzled why dealer price is so much higher than online vendors? If they are from the same oem manufacture w/o any extra work done on the same parts, either BMW or the dealers is making huge profit on the parts. Just use the "BMW" brand, and the price will double or even triple, that's ridiculous!
welcome to capitalism :)

pauln

Post by pauln »

fisher wrote:Thanks for all your input on this topic. I did some research on the difference between BMW parts and OEM parts the online vendor sells. Someone said BMW rotors are factory-balanced, while the OEM parts probably may not be properly balanced, please see the following link for the discussion:

I decided to buy the BMW brake parts this time. I also found this dealership has really discounted price, crownbmw.com, it's just $100 more than bimmerworld for rear brakes (around $220), way cheaper than the local dealer quotes ($450 and above). I think this extra $100 will hopefully buy me peace of mind.

Most likely you guys will disagree with me on this as you use your bimmer more than just daily driving, and by no means I don't respect your choice of the vendor/parts.

fisher:

Please support our BMW dealer sponsors if you go with BMW parts.

JMK BMW and Open Road BMW are long time club sponsors. They have supported the club in many occassions including the upcoming club meeting at Open Road. I think we should support them as much as possible. They are local and most parts are usually in stock.

Ask for Paul at JMK (973) 379-7744
Ask for Tony at Open Road (732) 985-4575

Make sure you let them know you're a NJ BMW Car club member for discounts on parts.

Paul

fisher

Post by fisher »

pauln wrote:
fisher wrote:Thanks for all your input on this topic. I did some research on the difference between BMW parts and OEM parts the online vendor sells. Someone said BMW rotors are factory-balanced, while the OEM parts probably may not be properly balanced, please see the following link for the discussion:

fisher:

Please support our BMW dealer sponsors if you go with BMW parts.

JMK BMW and Open Road BMW are long time club sponsors. They have supported the club in many occassions including the upcoming club meeting at Open Road. I think we should support them as much as possible. They are local and most parts are usually in stock.

Ask for Paul at JMK (973) 379-7744
Ask for Tony at Open Road (732) 985-4575

Make sure you let them know you're a NJ BMW Car club member for discounts on parts.

Paul
I did call JMK before, and the quote for rear rotor and pads was $455, with 12%-15% member discount (not sure why not fixed percentage), it's still way more expensive than online vendor or other dealership, for example, CircleBMW give me quote of around $310.

It's hard for me to pay extra couple of hundred just to support our sponsors. The dealers should have more competitive pricing on the parts.

pauln

Post by pauln »

I'm glad to hear Circle BMW offers competitive pricing on their parts. We are talking to them about sponsorship. Please view our sponsors link on the left banner of the home page.

http://www.njbmwcca.org/services/links/sponsors.php

Paul

RealM3E30

E-46 Rotors

Post by RealM3E30 »

Jeff, just talked to Chris @Zyggy's, $49.00 each, for the E-46 you have listed, plus about the same for shipping, he said Zimmermans are NLA, he would be shipping the Balo's. R 8)