Sanity check - Some pricing and shop recommendations

dbcafy

Sanity check - Some pricing and shop recommendations

Post by dbcafy »

Can someone please give me a sanity check? 2003 E39 with sports package is at the dealer and this is what they are quoting me for the following:

- Front and Rear pads and rotors: $960.
- Replace front control arm bushings: $520
- Replace front windshield (rain sensing): $1600

Am I going nuts here?

Thanks,
Dave
2011 M3 sedan, ZCP, DCT, Dinan Exhaust, aFe Intake
2003 540i, M-Sports Pkg (retired)

m20power

Post by m20power »

Yikes! Check the parts prices at bimmerparts.com (a sponsor of ours) to get a feel. The brake job is very easy and requires only basic tools. LCA bushings, a little harder. You could buy a nice tool set with the money you save.

If you don't feel comfortable doing the work, check one of the local independents - a couple of great, honest shops around (post location and ask for reco).

For glass, get a price from Bart's glass (732) 356-2492.

Good luck!

Bob
'11 335i Convertible - Street
'02 325Ci - Street
'97 M3 Coupe - Street
'17 340i - Wife's ride
No automatics!

sgoatley2001e46

Post by sgoatley2001e46 »

Dave,

What dealership was that? Hopefully it's not the one I'm about to recommend...I always talk with Manny in parts at BMW of Roxbury and get discounts that appear to go beyond the typical 20% for club members. I stopped calculating the percentage a while ago. All I know is that it's always perfect and service is top notch. If you do call BMW Roxbury, ask for "Little Manny", and tell him Scott Oatley sent you. I'm not sure if he knows me by name, but he's asked for referrals in the past.

If BMW Roxbury doesn't work for you, try calling Circle BMW. Tim from service is a club member and always on the forums talking about the real pricing (parts and labor) versus the inflated numbers that other dealers give. Tim gave me a quote once that was HUNDREDS less than what BMW Morristown quoted me for the exact same job. I ended up doing the repair myself, but it was good to know.

I can't help much with the windshield, but hopefully the rest works out...

Scott

davidmcintyre

Post by davidmcintyre »

2003 - is the car still under warranty? If not, then it's time to stop having service done at the dealership. Find an honest independent BMW mechanic who has the knowledge and the tools. There are many around, some in your area. I like Sean at Eurosport of Westfield, but there's one in your neighborhood too.

I recently had new CV joints installed in my 2002 Audi Allroad, and Sean/Eurosport did the job with the same parts for approximately 50% of what the dealer wanted.

-Dave

jlnmd

Post by jlnmd »

Where are you located? If in Central Jersey, I have an excellent recommendation. I have a 1994 740iL (E32) that runs like new because of the independent I use.

kishg

Post by kishg »

talk about way over priced!! find a good indy, Sean@Eurosport (Westfield) is good as is Dave@MotorWorksWest in Wyckoff. My 03 540i M-Sport just came off CPO too. I just had BMW of Morristown do the brakes, fluid, Inspection II etc under the CPO/Extended Maintenance Plan. Best is to learn to DIY them, brakes aren't hard on a BMW. Windshield, have you called Safelite? Make sure they quote you for the rain sensing OEM one though.

MrMCoupe

Post by MrMCoupe »

Most insurance policies cover Windshields for little or no out of pocket. I would go that route before paying for a windshield.

kishg

Post by kishg »

MrMCoupe wrote:Most insurance policies cover Windshields for little or no out of pocket. I would go that route before paying for a windshield.
depends on your deductible unless you specified additional coverage for the winsdshield.

dbcafy

Post by dbcafy »

Hey Guys, Thanks for the information.

Question - since I'll need new brakes and rotors, shoudl I upgrade from the standard BMW parts. What type of pad would you reconmend (Mintex, Pagid, cool carbon)? What type of rotors (slotted, drilled, etc).

This car is mostly my daily driver (some AutoX and Driving School)

Thanks,
Dave
2011 M3 sedan, ZCP, DCT, Dinan Exhaust, aFe Intake
2003 540i, M-Sports Pkg (retired)

kishg

Post by kishg »

I would go with stock oem rotors. Pagid pads work well for me on my e39 540. I even had them on track for 3 days at Mid Ohio last weekend without any issues. Dave Zeckhausen (http://www.zeckhausen.com/bmw_products.htm) is who I goto for all my brake stuff.

clemmike

Post by clemmike »

Just did brakes on my 03 530i using EBC redstuff pads and standard type rotors, approx 320.00 in parts took about 3 hrs labor in my garage. Had windshield (aftermarket) done last year by a glass shop in kenilworth for 295.00 he even came to the house to install and my car had rain sensor he just swapped fromthe old glass. Hope this helps.