EML light problem

smoore1127

EML light problem

Post by smoore1127 »

i have a 85 535i and my EML light comes on when i start my car and will not go off unless i rev the engine over 3000rpms. if i do not rev the engine the battery is drained and the car cuts off. does anyone know how to replace this sensor? cost?

thanks in advance

dhirschhorn

Post by dhirschhorn »

Sounds like a good question to ask Mike Miller at tonights meeting.....

jnscaldwell

Post by jnscaldwell »

dhirschhorn wrote:Sounds like a good question to ask Mike Miller at tonights meeting.....
I believe the meeting is next Wed. the 22nd.

dhirschhorn

Post by dhirschhorn »

Dang....fed false information again. I've got to stop trusting these "friends" of mine.

edw1

Re: EML light problem

Post by edw1 »

smoore1127 wrote:i have a 85 535i and my EML light comes on when i start my car and will not go off unless i rev the engine over 3000rpms. if i do not rev the engine the battery is drained and the car cuts off. does anyone know how to replace this sensor? cost?

thanks in advance
I don't remember having an EML indicator in my '88 535. What does the indicator actually say?

If you have to rev the engine to get the battey to start charging, the voltage regulator on the alternator is not getting proper field voltage until it is reved high enough to generate its own field voltage. Field voltage is normally supplied from the battery via the ignition switch in the steering column to the smaller post on the alternator. I would check voltage between that small post and ground with the key in position 2. If you get battery voltage, then the problem is probably in the voltage regulator itself, a $30 part via the usual mail order places. If you get reduced voltage or none at all at the small post with the key on, break out the wiring diagram to find out where the drop or loss occurs.
ImageImage

smoore1127

Post by smoore1127 »

thanks for the reply. I will check the Voltage regulator. The light says EML on it. I spoke with Bava Auto and they told me that was the first year but not on all cars. go figure....

MMallory

EML

Post by MMallory »

When the EML light came on in my "89 750 it was due to low voltage in the system. Even though the battery tested good, it wasn't good enough. I replaced the battery and the alternator to fix the problem. The dealer said it was fifty other things which would have costs a small fortune so I would start with the cheap stuff first.

Battery
MAF
Alternator

RAYADAM

Post by RAYADAM »

smoore1127 wrote:thanks for the reply. I will check the Voltage regulator. The light says EML on it. I spoke with Bava Auto and they told me that was the first year but not on all cars. go figure....
I agree with the suggestions above,but want to ask a few questions..

I have a 1985 owners manual in front of me and there's no EML light indicater on the dash in the illustrations(do you by chance have a euro model?), does the instrument cluster have a indicator with a picture of a battery? EML lights were with early indroduction of drive-by-wire BMWs like on Marks 750iL(V12), BMW later bought a M30 engine in with DBW in around 1991 till the end of E32(735i/iL) production.

Based on your complaint,again I agree with Ed and Mark.. to add to it , check the belt tension also..
if you indeed have a "battery" indicator and it is not lighting up..that could cause the no charge problem..I had a E23 with a battery indicator light was out,that indeed completes a alternator circuit to excite the alternator to begin charging.

IMO,the battery light in the early bimmers was not the best way to indicate a problem with the charging system.. :wink:
Ray
2011 X5d
2018 Shelby GT350

smoore1127

Post by smoore1127 »

how do i tell if i have an Euro model. I have not seen a battery light come on before. i will look shortly....

RAYADAM

Post by RAYADAM »

smoore1127 wrote:how do i tell if i have an Euro model. I have not seen a battery light come on before. i will look shortly....
The VIN sticker on the B-pillar, metric speedometer,etc... my Euro suggestion was just a thought,not necessarily the answer the EML issue though :)

"battery" indicator should be all the way to the right of the cluster.
Ray
2011 X5d
2018 Shelby GT350

jimoreno

Post by jimoreno »

If it is the regulator it can be replaced with the alternator still on the car. It should be about $20 and it will take all of 10 minutes to put it in. I just replaced it in my car for peace of mind.
Good Luck!