Will there be a 4 series Forum under technical?

Anything that doesn't fit in other forums goes here.
har86

Will there be a 4 series Forum under technical?

Post by har86 »

I just got a 4 series and was just curious to know if there will be a 4 series only Forum or could I also post 4 related in the 3 series forum? I would prefer not to...

Thanks!

MTROIS

Post by MTROIS »

I am sure we could get you a 4-series section in the forum but let me ask first if you see any major technical reasons as to why the 4-series discussions will be so different from the 3-series ones and thus warrant its own section?

My understanding is that besides the name, the only difference will be on the Coupe vs. Sedan style and not much more.

Let us know.

Thank you.
2019 M2 Competition (Euro Delivery!)
2008 M3 Coupé
1995 M3 LTW
...all Manual Transmissions!!

har86

Post by har86 »

Well for technicality sake, there really should be its own designation in the forums.

But to answer your question: Luckily, my sister has the 3 series coupe, so I can compare a little.
I've noticed that the 4 series has a reworked chassis - is 2 inches lower in height, an inch or 2 longer and 2 inches wider in the rear track and 0.3 inch wider in the front track. Overall just lower, and wider.

The handling and steering is improved over the 3 series, a more responsive suspension, and a lower center of gravity. At 19.6 inches high, only 0.1 inch higher than the Porsche Cayman's center of gravity. Electrical assisted steering is only second to the Cayman as well. However, you do lose that direct steering feel, which I've always loved about BMWs (had the X5, z3 previously as well). Instead there is a new electrical assisted system for the steering. Although, when you switch from the 4 available modes (Sport+, Sport, Comfort and Eco Modes) to Sport or Sport+ you do get a stiffer feel and the dampers are tightened, etc. Suspension overall is stiffer than the 3 series.

Before, purchasing it, even I thought it was basically the 3 series coupe. But, I am gladly mistaken. This isn't just a switch of number designations, but a whole new car, and body, with a new feel and ride. Some things are similar to the 3 but there a good amount that are not.

It's strictly its own 4 designation.
I just don't understand the 4 series Gran Coupe, that's basically like the 3 series, although it hasn't come out yet - so I'll leave that alone. Until we can talk more about it in the 4 series forum. :)

Cheers!

mcahn

Post by mcahn »

The differences between the 3- and 4-series sound nice. But we don't have separate M and non-M forums, or different forums for the different generations. We could add "4" to the name of the 3-series forum.

Matthew

har86

Post by har86 »

I honestly don't mind where the 4 series forum would go under then, in that case. As long as I know and I'm sure other 4 series owners know where to start posting to.

I came on here, b/c well, I was looking for some info on what type of front license plate mount would be good for this body type and if people had already had some experience with the look and feel of it. I DID get a lot of great information from the 3 series forum in regards to it.

So far, it's really just a few aesthetic questions I've been looking for answers too, which for the most part - I can probably get from the 3 series forum in that respect.

I would eventually like to hear how 4 series owners tinker with their specific vehicle (coming from a car enthusiast perspective). Overall, as long we know where to post to - is what I really care about. I guess at this early stage I wouldn't expect much chatter on this model yet anyway.

har86

Post by har86 »

I honestly don't mind where the 4 series forum would go under then, in that case. As long as I know and I'm sure other 4 series owners know where to start posting to.

I came on here, b/c well, I was looking for some info on what type of front license plate mount would be good for this body type and if people had already had some experience with the look and feel of it. I DID get a lot of great information from the 3 series forum in regards to it.

So far, it's really just a few aesthetic questions I've been looking for answers too, which for the most part - I can probably get from the 3 series forum in that respect.

I would eventually like to hear how 4 series owners tinker with their specific vehicle (coming from a car enthusiast perspective). Overall, as long we know where to post to - is what I really care about. I guess at this early stage I wouldn't expect much chatter on this model yet anyway.