Car Wash

Anything that doesn't fit in other forums goes here.
zeelimit

Car Wash

Post by zeelimit »

I just bought a 128i convertible and joined this club. The manual tells me to avoid high pressure car washs. It seems like all of the car washs use high pressure. I live in Bergen County. Does anyone have a suggestion for an appropriate car wash. Even better one that does a reasonably priced hand wash.

JeffNJM3

Post by JeffNJM3 »

I can't offer any suggestions of places to go, but i never wash convertible tops with anything other than water, maybe a very very small amount of soap if I have to. I've heard that soap is not good for the canvas tops. I dunno if its true or not, but I've always figured better safe than sorry.

MrMCoupe

car wash

Post by MrMCoupe »

I only hand wash my cars. You will find the detail shops will hand wash for only a few dollars more than the automated wash places. Personally, I like to wash my own and enjoy the bonding time.

snoweeowl

Car Wash

Post by snoweeowl »

Like Jeff and Mr. M above I only hand wash my car and use soap on the ragtop maybe every fourth wash.

I have used a treatment on the top that I'm told will extend it's life and keep it water repellent.

imrichhere

car wash

Post by imrichhere »

New Look hand car wash at 60 W. Passaic, in Rochelle Park. $10.00, all by hand. $8.00 on Mon. & Thurs. if senior.

sgoatley2001e46

Post by sgoatley2001e46 »

Hand washing is always the way to go. For your convertible top cleaner, I believe there are a few products from Autosol or P21S. I've even seen these cleaning products in the parts/accessory area of my local dealership. I used to have a rag-top Mustang and only used a cleaner on it. High Pressure washes didn't do so well on the gaskets around the window and roofline...

However, if you're in a position like me, and you live in a private neighborhood and CAN'T wash your car because your condo or townhouse doesn't have a driveway, then you'll have to take it some place. (how stupid is that?!?!) When options are limited, I do take mine to a great place on Rt. 10 in Denville. However, when the weather is nice, you'll find me at my brother's place doing it myself.

ccraig13

Brushless

Post by ccraig13 »

I have an E92 and only hand wash it as well. However, do to all the ice and snow in my driveway it's been difficult. Instead, I found a brushless car wash at a Sheetz near Catasaqua, PA ( I live in near Phillipsburg, but travel over in that direction a lot ). I have had no issues with the high powered sprayers and I even have a clear bra ( which I made myself using XPel )

jnscaldwell

Post by jnscaldwell »

I've been taking my wife's 2004 E46 convertible through car washes since it was new. Never had an issue. Between working on my track car(s) and work/life in general I don't have the time or patience to hand wash my cars. Stick to the "higher end" places and you will be fine.

I will suggest getting a good canvas top cleaner and protector. I use Haartz Ragg Topp system on the E46 and the results are awesome. This is the product recommended by BMW.
http://www.haartz.com/en/consumer_info/ ... eaning.asp
17 F15 X5 40e
17 F25 X3 28i MSport
11 E92 M3 ZCP
04 E46 325cic
93 E36 325is - JS #172
12 Ford F350 King Ranch dually